As we approach the end of WRWC Segment W22, I wanted to remind everyone of the March 31 quarterly challenger athlete classification updates. The purpose of the quarterly classification update is to ensure athletes participate in the appropriate leaderboard classes based on their skill level. The first quarter classification update is the third update of 2022. Updates have been made on October 4, 2021, January 1, 2022 and April 1, 2022.
The process was not designed to potentially penalize an athlete 17 days prior to the segment cutoff date, making it difficult for them to qualify for the Women’s Rodeo World Championship. Rather to make sure all athletes competing as a Challenger meet the earning/number requirements that have been designed. In order to ensure this is done correctly, we will be applying the following protocols for the W22 segment:
- All new W22 leaderboard athletes will be classified based on the current data available at that time of their first nomination.
- The first quarter Challenger Athlete Classification update is based on data available as of March 31, 2022 and will take effect as of April 1, 2022.
- Breakaway – 14 athletes promoted from Challenger to PRO (1 inside Top 20)
- Barrel Racing – 8 athletes promoted from Challenger to PRO (3 inside Top 20)
- Team Roping – update in progress and pending classification card review
- Athletes promoted from Challenger to PRO leaderboard that were in the TOP 20 of the Challenger leaderboard will be given a “Challenger Promotion” to the PRO leaderboard regardless of the number of points earned at the end of the W22 segment.
- If a promoted athlete’s points place them in the Top 20 on the PRO leaderboard they will not take away a qualification position from a PRO athlete that would have earned a Top 20 qualification, based on the final leaderboard audit, had the promoted athlete not moved leaderboards.
- An athlete’s points following the final leaderboard audit will determine their competition position per the event ground rules.
- We have also set the classification updates for W23 segment to eliminate this procedure next year and those will occur based on available data as follows:
- Q2 2022 – June 30, 2022
- Q3 2022 – September 30, 2022
- Q4 2022 – December 31, 2022
- Q1 2023 – April 16, 2023 – following the close of W23 segment
Nominations for the 2022 WRWC event close on April 17th. You still have time to qualify or improve your competition position by moving up the leaderboard. The #1 athlete on each leaderboard will be seeded into the Showdown Round.
If you have any questions about the Classification process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-575-WRWC.